- New GtS post: Book Reviews at GtS – Two Cent Tuesday http://is.gd/ebgr #
- Air Force and Social Media. Very interesting stuff: http://tinyurl.com/5p6n9r #
- New GtS post: Bible Canon Chart http://is.gd/edeC #
- New GtS post: 99 Songs for $1.99 http://is.gd/edeF #
- I’ve been wanting a tattoo again lately… darn you LA Ink. #
- @jakebelder Would have been funnier if you linked to Bible.Logos.com in reply to jakebelder #
- I often use my ride home for personal reflection. Results aren’t always good. I think my time would be better spent reflecting on Christ. #
- 12seconds – Asher got a 3D viewer. http://tiny12.tv/HKF8E #
- Watching Tron… Need I say more? #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates from 2008-12-30 http://tinyurl.com/9zxgvm #
Most mornings, the kids & I start our day with “circle time”. After breakfast & getting dressed, we gather in the office, read a chapter from a kids bible (since we do the Jesus Storybook Bible at night we’re going through The Big Picture Story Bible right now), pray together, work on scripture memorization (been on a break over the holidays), and then sing a hymn. This week we’ve started learning “It is wll with my soul”.
So today we talked about what the words in the first stanza & refrain mean. Asher latched onto the concept immediately & delved into discussion about heaven. Questions like, “will there be toys in heaven?”
Later he hurt his thumb and fussed and then said, “it’s okay though, it’s still well with my soul”.
I so enjoy getting a front row seat of his mind at work.
Anyhow, during the heaven talk he got excited & did his “smile & lean in conspiratorially” thing saying, “and when Jesus comes back we’ll get to go back in Eden!”.
I almost cried. I swear i’ve never told him this…at least not in one coherent thought. But it was a logical piecing together of what he does know. I just find that piecing together so fascinating. Kids really are amazing!
A few weeks ago in the beginning of The Big Picture Story Bible, when Adam & Eve are sent from the garden, there is a picture of angels with flaming swords. He asked about it when we read that. I explained how Adam & Eve (& all people) were no longer allowed in the garden. That was the end of the discussion. Other than liking the swords he didn’t linger on it. Just when you think they’re not paying attention.
Course if you ask him to go upstairs & get his slippers that are sitting on the floor right next to his bed, under his calendar. He will come back down empty handed declaring, “i can’t find them. can you get them for me?” And then Grace will go up & find them immediately. Go figure.
- I was planning on going to the doctor this morning but I no longer feel sick enough to take my crappily insuranced self in. #
- Oh yeah, jenn is potty training Grace today. Say a prayer if you would. #
- @johndyer when you have lunch with @human3rror tell him he needs to present something at BibleTech http://www.bibletechconference.com in reply to johndyer #
- New GtS post: Free Kutless MP3 http://is.gd/e2pO #
- Exporting some video on my mac. Taking a while, so think I’ll go grab lunch. #
- New GtS post: Atheist calls for more missionaries to Africa http://is.gd/e50C #
- RT @Logos: 7 Logos for Mac video tutorials are now live http://cli.gs/MacVID #
- Anyone seen the sun lately… Big fiery ball that is usually be found in the sky… It has been missing for a while and I’m starting 2 worry #
- The Daily Burns – Attack of the Cough http://tinyurl.com/79yvyf #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates from 2008-12-29 http://tinyurl.com/93l8ym #
Before I start, I would like to clarify that we DO pray for each other & ourselves when we’re sick. I do not think any healing comes our way outside the mercy of God. However, I also believe God (usually) uses “earthly” means to do so. Just like we trust God for our care, and still go to work. It’s not as though because Ryan works for a paycheck he’s not “trusting God for our provision”…God IS providing through his job. That could all be it’s own post though. I just wanted to clarify for those that will read this & think I see it all as being “in MY hands”. I do not.
Last Sunday, Ryan started coming down with a chest cold. Despite his good effort with “obeying” my cold fighting regimen, it has continued for 8 days now. Now…for the record, though he has been good about taking raw garlic by the spoonful, drinking lots of herbal teas & taking extra vitamin C, he hasn’t quite done it to the level that I do when I’m fighting something…I do the garlic & C every 1-2 hours (at least the garlic, the C about 4x/day +/-)…. But I’m not criticizing; he doesn’t have the benefit of a good Catholic upbringing, which gives way easily to self-flagellation.
Anyhow, come Tuesday, Asher started to succumb. So the boys hacked and wheezed & talked funny through Christmas and into the weekend. There’s not much I can do for Asher since he CAN’T take garlic, and WON’T drink hot tea, broth, or eat soup. Best I can do is give him vitamin C, extra probiotics, some cherry bark tincture and try to bathe him more often (than never)….for the steam.
It appeared as if the girls were in the clear. I stopped the garlic regimen on Wednesday. I started to get cocky. Then yesterday Grace started coughing. Thankfully (Lord bless this child) she will drink tea and despite it’s nastiness will (resigned but w/little complaint) swallow spoonfuls of garlic infused raw honey for me. It seems a little better today. Better for both of them, but especially Grace.
Today I have had a slight runny nose. No signs of anything else, but to be sure I’ve gotten back on the garlic wagon. You might want to make sure to avoid our house if at all possible. I’m sure we all smell delightful.
Given the apparent voracity of this little bug I’ve decided to take out the “big guns”. I’m making a “tea” for myself (& anyone else willing to drink it) that was recommended by one of my health-nut weirdo friends. Our internet is down (typing this out in Word at the moment), so I can’t remember all the measurements, but here’s what I’m going with:
4 cups Pre-Brewed Red Raspberry Leaf Tea (loosens phlegm, antiseptic). I’m already drinking 3 cups/day of this anyway to alleviate some ‘female issues’, so this could be an aide for why I haven’t ‘caught’ it yet.
3 (ish) teaspoons of Fenugreek Seed (I forget what this is for, other than it’s a mid-eastern folk remedy for the common cold…I think another phlegm helper)
3 inches of fresh ginger peeled into small pieces. usually I use a vegetable peeler & just peel into the pot, but I broke it yesterday…cutting cold butter…don’t ask. So today I whirled it through my black & decker “handy chopper” (for tea, I use the whole thing, ‘skin’ & all). Anyhow, ginger is antiviral, and “warming” (warm bodies fight germs easier).
put all into a pot, bring to a boil, then let steep for at least an hour…or longer. The original recipe calls for mullein flowers too (for congestion, which none of us have had thus far), but I don’t have any.
Strain into a glass jar (I use canning jars) then add:
1-2 tsp. Cayenne pepper (yikes! Think we all know what that’s good for!)
However many cloves of garlic you think you can handle (more than one folks). Garlic being an anti-bacterial & anti-viral agent. I’m probably going to go with 4 big guys. Crush, chop or press & dump in the jar, put on the lid. Swirl around & let sit a few hours to overnight. Swirl before pouring & drink as much as you can handle throughout the day till you’ve finished the quart. Repeat as needed.
If it doesn’t kill the cold, at least it can double as penance….right?
- Best walmart experience ever! #
- @BobPritchett family traditions like that are the best… of course, they are always better when bacon is involved. in reply to BobPritchett #
- @human3rror the trick is to go first thing in the morning. I just went to Walmart at 8:30 and there was no line at all… at WALMART! in reply to human3rror #
- Does mucinex work? About to find out. Will give a twitter review later. #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates from 2008-12-27 http://tinyurl.com/7d7h5f #
- New GtS post: Tons of Tips to Save Money Everyday http://is.gd/dyfG #
- The Daily Burns – Potty Training, Take 2 http://tinyurl.com/8v9uzw #
- Cold lasagna for lunch… you really wanted to know that, didn’t you. #
- Bellingham is very melty. 3 degrees above freezing and the snow is not happy about that. #
- Heading home for pizza night. Even better, we’ll be watching the incredibles while we eat… Whoa! Bus just fishtailed! What a great night! #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates from 2008-12-26 http://tinyurl.com/9pf96w #
- Snowing in bellinghm… My first white Christmas. #
- 12seconds – Calm before the storm. http://tiny12.tv/37WJ0 #
- The Daily Burns – Mildly Famous http://tinyurl.com/8xsac6 #
- Kids are sleeping in late today… Merry Christmas to us! #
- http://twitpic.com/wd7a – A white Christmas. #
- 12seconds – Go time. http://tiny12.tv/G334X #
- http://twitpic.com/webj – Princess Grace. #
- The Daily Burns – Christmas at the Burns http://tinyurl.com/83acla #
- Hooking up my family with SkyPE! #
- Dinner time! Breaking out a bottle of wine from my new wine fridge. #
- Totally creeping up on 1k updates… might even hit it tonight. #
- Did I mention I was on MSNBC.com? http://tinyurl.com/8xdfza #
- It has been a great Christmas. About time to put the kids to bed and then contemplate something profound to to say on my 1,000th tweet. #
- My 1,000th tweet… I love my my wife and kids very, very, much. #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates from 2008-12-25 http://tinyurl.com/9qvmv9 #
It’s the day after Christmas…the kids are both wearing some new clothes from the grandparents. Grace is prancing in her new “princess jewelry” and pushing her baby around in the stroller. Asher is absorbed in his new “Where’s Waldo” book. Me? I’m thinking about Potty Training. Merry Christmas.
As some of you may remember we started potty training Grace this past summer…only to have a major revert the week before we moved here to WA. I decided it would be in the best interest of all involved to throw in the towel for the time-being & wait till we were “more settled” to try again. Grace embraced diapers again gleefully….enjoying pretending to be a baby during changes & the whole nine-yards. so…uh…yeah. I guess she wasn’t “ready”. Live & learn.
Anyhow, I decided “after the holidays” was my goal for re-introducing the concept. As much as I’m never going to be “in the mood” to do this again (esp. now that we’re renting with wall-to-wall carpet…i’ve never done this with carpet…), I decided to get the ball rolling again starting this coming Monday. I vacillated between waiting till after Asher’s birthday (the 5th of Jan), but decided that I will come up with endless reasons for delaying if I cave to that mindset. So today while changing her diaper, I mentioned that on Monday we were going to start potty training so she could wear “big girl” underwear & go on the potty ect. She clapped her hands & said, “I so cited!”. It helps that her friend Luke trained recently & she would LOVE to be “big” like him.
So I’m going to try to make it to Target today to have her help me pick out some “special” pretty underwear that she gets to wear when she starts getting the hang of it, and some stickers. We’re gonna go the sticker-reward route this time (last time i tried “just praise” as a reward). She was VERY keen on the sticker idea.
Here we go….Lord, grant us mercy!
- Arg. Stupid alarm. I turned you off. Why are you still waking me up?!? #
- 12seconds – That’s right. The mall. http://tiny12.tv/6VXH6 #
- 12seconds – Mall is empty! http://tiny12.tv/NJI3J #
- @philgons how are things looking for travel? in reply to philgons #
- http://twitpic.com/w497 – Jenn making Christmas eve lasagna. #
- The Daily Burns – Some Video From Today http://tinyurl.com/9n28ly #
- New GtS post: The Word Became Flesh http://is.gd/do6b #
- http://twitpic.com/w5iv – Mmmmmm! #
- 12seconds – Fancy for church. http://tiny12.tv/46EMZ #
- http://twitpic.com/w7es – Candle light service. #
- Ha ha, Walgreens is packed! #
- http://twitpic.com/w7mp – Dressed up for Christmas eve service. #
- http://twitpic.com/w8s6 – Preping Christmas breakfast. #
- @lenflack – I love to preach that verse all year round! Have a great Christmas fella. in reply to lenflack #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates http://tinyurl.com/77oju9 #