Just sitting here waiting for the children to wake up and remembered that I forgot to mention that I was mildly famous the other day. It is a long story, but I’m featured in an MSNBC.com article about people who can’t be with family over the Christmas. The journalist also interviewed mom, so she gets famous on page 2. I’ll post the opening of the article here and you can follow the link for the rest of the story:
For the first time in his life, Ryan Burns can’t afford to go home for the holidays. During Christmases past, he and his wife and two kids have traditionally spent much of the day in the car driving from their home in Orlando, Fla., to gatherings with their parents and grandparents, who live in various towns in Georgia.
But in October, Burns, 30, had to take a job that relocated the family to Bellingham, Wash., even though he’d been looking for one that would have kept them closer to home. Just a few weeks ago, it hit him that he couldn’t afford to travel for Christmas this year.
“I just had that kind of homesick feeling when I realized I’m not going to get to see my mom, my dad, my brothers and sisters this year,” says Burns, who works for a company marketing Bible study software.
- New GtS post: ESV Daily Reading Bible on Sale http://is.gd/dbvU #
- If you haven’t seen it, this is a great presentation on Twitter for Business http://tinyurl.com/93b7zg #
- RT @Logos – Free Kutless MP3 from Bible Study Magazine http://is.gd/ddWB #
- Home for a 2 day Christmas vacation. Very excited! #
- http://twitpic.com/vs9o – Burns family medicine… A spoon full of garlic. #
- http://twitpic.com/vscr – Kids getting their ginger bread cookies. #
- Been waiting all week to play in the snow… Can’t wait till tomorrow! #
- Alarm off! I love vacation! #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates http://tinyurl.com/7ackwf #
This will likely not be very interesting to anyone except grandparents:
- New GtS post: The Seminary Student’s Guide to the Library http://is.gd/cWlv #
- Bus never showed up this morning… LAME. Thankfully @philgons is going to give me a ride to work. Not a good start to Monday. #
- I REALLY wish I still had my jeep! #
- The Daily Burns – Liver Club http://tinyurl.com/7jh7a4 #
- Walking uphill 6 blocks in the snow to shop at a grocery store you’ve never been in while trying to make a bus connection at 5… Difficult. #
- @philgons made it just fine. Thanks. See you in the mornin. in reply to philgons #
- Slightly nervous as I decided to take a bus I’ve never taken before… Seriously hope this works out. #
- Looks like my bus choice was not so good. #
- @philgons ended up on the 331. Took 40 minutes to get to cordata. Made my connection by less than 1 minute. in reply to philgons #
- @philgons Easiest $6 you’ll ever make… in reply to philgons #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates http://tinyurl.com/7nmhrw #
- New GtS post: Book Review: Reforming or Conforming? by Johnson and Gleason http://is.gd/cNCb #
- The Daily Burns – Big Brothers (Aka: Ode to Oma & Uncle Joe) http://tinyurl.com/92jo46 #
- 12seconds – Learning to read. http://tiny12.tv/KYJ7N #
- Getting some amazing snow in Bellingham this evening. Really wish tomorrow wasn’t a work day… I wanna go play! #
- The Daily Burns – Get Well http://tinyurl.com/8psukh #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates http://tinyurl.com/72p4k6 #
A few days ago I joined a “liver challenge” on the Traditional Foods Forum I frequent. It was started by a gal that was wanting to up her liver consumption for energy problems (B vitamins & iron), but couldn’t afford a quality liver supplement (yep, you can take liver in the form of pills). Really, liver (as a food) is such a great nutrient-dense food…and SO CHEAP. From a ‘supplement’ stand-point, it can make one downright giddy considering the savings.
However, most people don’t exactly have a TASTE for the meat. Lucky for me, I was blessed with a very impressionable personality, and began liking liver when I was 10. Exactly 10. We got to have a ‘big’ birthday party every 5 years, and on my 10th I had a slumber party, where I managed for the first time in my life to stay up “all night”. Needless to say, I took a big nap that next afternoon, and when my parents woke me for dinner they apparently did not REALLY wake me. We had liver & my mom noted that I was unusually quiet with a lack of grumbling about the dish, then went right back to bed. When i woke up later, asking when dinner was going to be, we realized i sleep-walked through dinner (not entirely surprising, i was a somewhat avid sleep walker/talker). Anyhow, my mom told me we had liver & that I liked it. I figured at that point, “oh, i guess i like liver now”. I’ve liked it ever since. So my “challenge” will be to cook it even though I’m the only one eating it. I’m not a fan of extra cooking JUST for one person.
So the ‘liver challenge’ is to aim for at least 2oz. of liver into your body each week. Until just a moment ago though, I thought it was each DAY. That’s a big difference. Some are going the ‘raw’ route, just slicing it up into pill-sized pieces & swallowing it raw (from organic/grassfed animals, frozen at least 14 days to kill parasites), others cooked. since I don’t trust my ‘source’, i’m going with cooked. Yesterday I cooked up a pound of chicken livers into some pate. I think i’ve eaten far more than 2oz thus far. it’s REALLY good. I got the recipe from KerryAnn’s Recipe Archive & made a few modifications b/c I didn’t have ALL ingredients on hand. Basically it was livers, bacon grease, onions, mayo & run through the food processor. mmm……I should probably ration it out or i’ll end up not fitting my jeans anymore. I’m all for “real” fats, but increased calories are increased calories and that is one high calorie snack!
Anyone want to join in? Anyone?……Bueller?…..Bueller?…. :enter chirping crickets:
- Good morning 31. Nice to meet you. #
- @clemsonanthony you getting old today too? 31 for me. You? in reply to clemsonanthony #
- $100 b-day cash. What should I buy: new apple keyboard, tripod, 1TB external hd, huey pro, boots, headphones, camera lens, or something else #
- http://twitpic.com/uly4 – Got to admit that asher’s calendar is really for me. #
- 12seconds – Shopping machine! http://tiny12.tv/HTYJJ #
- Things went well at the mall, but I think I have to go back… Crap! #
- Christmas shopping started so well… Getting worse by the minute. #
- Mall fail. #
- 12seconds – Having fun… http://tiny12.tv/739XU #
- 12seconds – Sled time! http://tiny12.tv/JXAT4 #
- 12seconds – Bike plus snow equals commitment. http://tiny12.tv/MGGNT #
- Turned 31… Going to red robin for dinner. Having great time with the family. #
- http://twitpic.com/uswt – Why it is a happy bday #
- 12seconds – Yes, I was “that guy” thanks to my kids. http://tiny12.tv/JRIUD #
- Snowing again in Bellingham. Roumer is 4+ inches tonight! #
- The Daily Burns – Twitter Updates http://tinyurl.com/9me955 #
If you’re not feeling well, Asher has a song for you.
This afternoon we were in the office and I was playing my guitar. He started to freestyle a song and I asked if he wanted to record it. So, I turned on garageband and got to work. It was pretty fun because I recorded the guitar track first and then gave him some headphones so he could record his track.
I don’t claim to be a musician, but he’s got some promise.
For those wondering (myself included) I think his inspiration came from either: me (I’m trying not to get sick, though I feel something a-brewin), his great-grandmother who is in the hospital, his grandmother who just had hip surgery, or his new favorite book, “Germs.” Whatever his muse, I feel better every time I hear it… hope you will too!
I’ve never had a big brother, but growing up i remember wishing I had either a big brother or a twin brother. I had some romanticized notion of him basically being a knight in shining armor to defend my honor or something equally silly. So I tend to project these desires onto Asher & Grace I’m sure. In general, he is a sweet caring big brother who enjoys helping to ‘teach’ his sister & ‘keep her safe’. She is his princess. However, they definitely have “their days” where one or the other or both just want to BUG each other. Yep…normal kids.
I suppose most younger sisters recall their childhood to be something more along the lines of this:
The humor was not lost on me in the moment either. Note the “trying not to laugh while reprimanding” voice. I did manage to regain composure after turning off the camera.